Thursday, July 22, 2010

You Need to Dream A Little Bigger: My first IMAX experience





I am psyched that Cebu finally got an IMAX theatre! And Inception is showing! I'm terrible at making movie reviews (I over-analyse, over-criticize, over-worship, I can never be un-biased) so I'll refrain from reviewing this movie and just tell you to WATCH IT to get a dose of "high", only Inception+Imax can offer. 

Okay, so that was a review. Darn. I can't resist. 

Okay, whatever. 

The movie displayed amazing cinematography and Cristopher Nolan has a vision that (hopefully) will change heist movies forever. The movie combines the magic that brought Matrix, Dark Knight and Memento to great heights and delivered it in this movie. Only, sometimes, they did it too well and I feel that they could have further explored the intricacies of the characters' mindsets and psyche. It could have made a better psychology thriller movie than a heist movie, but then, I can't complain since I loved the way Nolan did it anyway. Leonardo DiCaprio is already one of my favorite actors since he has long shed his Titanic(Hollywood cute guy) skin, I think his choice of movies are the best and I can easily compare his tastes to that of Johnny Depp's eccentricities which they both portray so well in each movie they choose. Marion Cotillard, whom I loved as an actress in The Good Year and Nine, was brilliant in her role as the wife. She was downright creepy, I can feel her underlying craziness underneath the facade of outer fragility. She was crazy, yet she made it so that the audience finds it hard to believe she was that, the ultimate pseudo-protagonist-cum-villain. Joseph Gordon-Levitt..well, since when has he ever failed me?! I adore him. This time, he was the hot Point man. Hot. He.Is. He also showed his action skills in the movie via ala-matrix-like elevator scene which was one of the movie's biggest crowd-WoWer! These three made the biggest impact on screen. Ellen Page was negligible, she could have milked her part better, and the others roles were too constricted to really put too much brilliance on screen. Oh, wait, there was that guy who played the target. He did pretty well too! 

One bad thing about IMAX, it can get too noisy. LMAO. And the seats were packed too tight in SM, we weren't in the aisle seats so when I had a full bladder, I had to wait for like 30 minutes because I don't want to miss any good parts and I don;t want to embarrass myself by blocking people's views. Darn. New rule: No Iced teas during Movies. haha!